The third meeting of the National Committee for Monitoring Marine Protected Areas* was held on Wednesday 6 October 2021 at the Oceanographic Museum in Monaco.
The Principality has two marine protected areas (MPAs), Larvotto and the Spélugues coral reef, which were established in 1976 and 1986 respectively. The areas are managed by the Monegasque Association for the Protection of Nature (AMPN).
Governance of the MPAs has been entrusted to a national monitoring committee, which is responsible for establishing guidelines for their management with the aim of expanding scientific knowledge, strengthening links with institutions and scientists, and defining governance procedures for the sites.
In 2020, the AMPN focused on raising awareness among both adults and young people through the Educational Marine Areas project in partnership with the Principality’s schools. This initiative continues to enjoy huge success. The Association is also undertaking environmental studies and scientific research through a variety of campaigns, notably in the Larvotto Reserve. Finally, an important step was taken with the finalisation of the MPA Management Plan, setting out long-term goals for improving the management of these Monegasque MPAs.
* This body is made up of representatives from the State, the Prince Albert II Foundation, the Institute of Oceanography, Monaco Scientific Centre, the Department of the Environment and the Department of Maritime Affairs. The meeting was held in person and via video conference:
- H.E. Mr Bernard FAUTRIER, Minister Plenipotentiary and Special Advisor to H.S.H. the Sovereign Prince on Environmental Issues
- Mr Robert CALCAGNO, CEO of the Institute of Oceanography, Albert I, Prince of Monaco Foundation
- Mr Olivier WENDEN, Vice President and Chief Executive Officer, Prince Albert II Foundation
- Mr Denis ALLEMAND, Scientific Director, Monaco Scientific Centre
- Mr Cyril Gomez, Director General of the Ministry of Public Works, the Environment and Urban Development
- Mr Christophe PRAT, Director General of the Ministry of the Interior
- Ms Isabelle ASSENZA, Secretary-General, Ministry of Finance and Economy
- Ms Armelle ROUDAUT-LAFON, Director of Maritime Affairs
- Ms Valérie DAVENET, Director of the Department of the Environment
- Mr Raphaël SIMONET, Division Head, Department of the Environment
- Ms Florence LARINI-NEGRI, Technical Advisor, Ministry of Public Works, the Environment and Urban Development
- Ms Jacqueline GAUTIER-DEBERNARDI, Director, Monegasque Association for the Protection of Nature